Verdict in Wander Franco retrial is expected on Monday afternoon
Published in Baseball
TAMPA, Fla. — The fate, and freedom, of Tampa Bay Rays shortstop Wander Franco will be revealed on Monday afternoon after attorneys wrapped up testimony and evidence in his retrial on charges of sexually abusing a minor, according to multiple reports from the Dominican Republic on Wednesday.
Franco, 25, was convicted in his original trial last June and received a two-year suspended sentence. Both Franco and the prosecutor’s office appealed the results of that trial, with Franco seeking an acquittal and prosecutors requesting a five-year prison sentence.
The new trial, which began last week in front of a three-judge panel, appeared to cover much of the same ground as the original proceedings, according to Dominican newspaper Diario Libre. Prosecutors presented testimony from 16 witnesses and painted a picture of a 21-year-old Franco and the then-14-year-old girl having an intimate relationship, with Franco paying off the minor’s mother.
The mother was convicted of trafficking her daughter in the first trial and was sentenced to 10 years in prison. That conviction was also overturned on appeal, and prosecutors again are seeking a 10-year sentence for the mother.
Prosecutors brought in investigators from the government’s financial crimes unit to track what they said were payments sent from Franco indirectly to the girl’s mother.
“We are confident that we have proven the accusation,” prosecutor Claudio Cordero said, according to Diario Libre.
Franco’s attorney, Irina Ventura, said there was no direct, or even indirect, evidence of the charges. She accused prosecutors of hiding evidence, according to the newspaper, and said the minor was interrogated without the presence of family members or lawyers during the initial investigation.
Franco, an All-Star at age 22, has not been seen in a Rays uniform since social media posts hinted at the relationship nearly three years ago.
Because Franco has been out of the country the past two-plus seasons, the Rays have not been obligated to pay his salary. The trial’s outcome, however, could complicate matters for the team if Franco is acquitted.
He is currently owed about $160 million on the remainder of his deal, and it’s unclear whether the Rays would welcome him back or attempt to have the contract voided. Major League Baseball might also consider sanctions, and Franco would need to obtain a work visa.
____
©2026 Tampa Bay Times. Visit tampabay.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.







Comments